Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Another Update on Jade

Now that Jade (Zheng Zheng as they called her at the orphanage - pronounced Jung Jung) has gone to bed, I can write a few words before falling asleep.

First, I have to say that I was wrong in my last post. I said we did not need an orater. Then I opened an email from my brother Michael. It was the most beautiful & loving prayer. I was so moved by his words that I couldn't read it to Jeff. After reading the prayer, I said, "Well, I guess we did need an orater after all! Click on comments under "Orater Needed" and read his beautiful prayer.

So, here's where we stand at this time. Katie conferred with the lung cancer doctor & ER nurse in our group and recommended that we give Jade the rest of her IV meds in the form of a shot.

God has shown Himself present in this situation in many ways and I am so grateful that He is with us. Here are some of the incredible "coincidences" that have occured.

When we had our first visit & IV at the Children's Hospital Sunday night, they sent all of the medicine in powder form & IV bottles of saline home with us. Each time we go in for an IV, we hand them the meds & they mix them & do their thing. This morning, Katie thought that we might be able to mix them in small amounts, so Jeff looked up the weird-named medicine. It was hard to find, but they found it. She looked at the medicine bottle & couldn't read the Chinese.

About then, a couple in our group Patrick & Liane came in to see how Jade was doing. Patrick is a lung cancer doctor & did his first 2 year residency in pediatrics years ago. And, get this - Patrick & Liane are Chinese! So they translated the medicine bottle for her. Then Liane told me how they are Chistians!

Not being pharmacists, neither of them knew what amount to give an infant, so they went to consult with Meredith, the best friend of one of the women in our group. The reason for that is that Meredith is an ER nurse! This is what she does all the time and she knew just what to do & how to do it!

So, they mixed up the medicine & all three of them came in to give her her shot. We had our own little medical team present. Jade screamed and got real mad, and when it was over, they handed her to me and she went to sleep within 5 minutes. It was so good that she was able to have a good amount of sleep-time.

Around 1:30, Jade woke up & needed a bottle. I thought she felt hot, but taking her temp showed 97.6, so we went to get a bite for lunch in the restaurant downstairs. She began to droop again during lunch, so we left early. We got back to the room & cleaned up her messy diaper and found her to be very hot. So, we took her temp & it was 102.2. I lost it while watching the numbers get higher & higher. Katie came and helped us make some decisions and we decided to try things her way instead of the Chinese medicine way.

Katie is not alarmed by this situation and feels confident that Jade will be well soon. Before writing to the blog tonight, Leanne called reassuring us of their prayers. She also gave me 3 scriptures to look up. I am just amazed that all of these people really care about us, especially Jade.

The phone just rang a few minutes ago, and Liane was calling saying that she & Patrick had just prayed for us and reminded me that when we call on God, He hears us and promises to help us. The Lord is so good. He knows the kind of help we need, and He knows way ahead of time, so He has everything in place before we even know it. Liane also gave me some scriptures to look up. They were on an old piece of paper in her Bible that had fallen out just after they prayed for us.

I am about to fall out of this chair because I am falling asleep so I'll have to write more tomorrow. Thanks for your prayers & for being orarters for us!

Love,
TB & Jeff

No comments: